|The Hunterdon County Library began as a system of about 160 "library
stations," which were small collections of books housed in various
places including general stores, post-offices and private homes. These
small collections constituted "the library" for the local residents,
as there was no actual library building to go to.|
|Early in 1934, the Hunterdon County Library Association (precursor to
the Friends of the Library) was organized with a retired professor, Raymond
Higgins, as its chairman. The Association's Executive Board included Kurt
Wiese, an author and illustrator of numerous children's books, who settled
in the county several years earlier.|
|The first public meeting of the association was on October 24th, 1934
with poet Robert Frost as its speaker.|
|The central library itself was first housed in the Courthouse in Flemington.
It was not open to the public on a regular basis until 1957 when it moved
to the former Flemington Garage on Spring Street (now Flemington Furs).
The library eventually outgrew this location and plans were made to construct
the first county library building.|
|In 1972, the doors to the Headquarters of the Hunterdon County Library
were officially opened. Growth and change have continued as the library
has strived to serve the County with its growing needs, as well as keeping
pace with technological improvements.|
|Today, the library system includes the North County Branch in Clinton,
the South County Branch in East Amwell, a Bookmobile which services towns throughout
the county and seven affiliated libraries.